You know how you make a really stupid mistake sometimes, and you think "wow, that's it! I've reached the maximum level of stupidity! I can not possibly surpass this dumb-ass move!" ... and then you go to Yoga School and realise that actually, you CAN, and you just DID?!?!
That's exactly how I feel...
what...
the hell...
was I thinking???
Oddly enough, my classmates are all really nice and also entirely clad in Lululemon. So things were fine until the Yoga started happening, and then, YE GODS, the pain. THE PAIN! I hurt. I am exhausted. I have a test Friday on the Sanskrit names of the standing poses. And do you think I know which one is Padangusthasana and which one is Padahastasana? Of course I don't. What about the difference between Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana A, B, C and D? Not even a little.
I'm having real trouble turning off my Inner Critic. Part of me says "hey, it's only been two days and think how much you've learned already! Think of Suryanamaskara! Think of Vinyasa!" and then the other one that says "TEST FRIDAY!!!! NOT A TEST OF SURYANAMASKARA OR VINYASA!!!" And then there's the whole hand-stand debacle... the debacle being that I can't DO hand-stands, and when I say "I can't do that" I just get that yoga-zen smile and a "yes you can." Here, shall I demonstrate and break my neck for you, or would it just be easier to walk in front of a Cable Car? I SAID I CAN'T!!!!
And Also? San Francisco smells gross.
*eh-hem* Okay, enough venting. Can you tell I'm a little stressed, and not at all zen? Some good stuff has happened, really. I've already made a few friends and learned a lot and ... um... went shopping... and.... uhhhhhh... hmmm. I dunno.
I'm really hoping that this week is going to be the hardest and then everything will get easier next week once my muscles have stopped screaming and I start to become more familiar with the routines and Sanskrit names. Right now I'm so tired that I think I'm going to just go to bed (yes, it's 9pm, got a problem with that?!) and study tomorrow, bright and early. Or maybe I'll wake up and this will all have been a bad dream. I really hope so.
If you have any suggestions for learning Sanskrit, please let me know!!!
Gillian
2 comments:
You can do it Gillian! I'm sure you will find a way to remember sanskrit names and I'm sure after a couple of days your muscles will be okay. Just think. You're not working at Atco at a desk job, doing something you really don't like. I have complete faith in you. Even so much that I would like to see the handstand when you come back! =D
Ok Honey...you CAN do this...you know how smart you are and the key to learning weird names is to make up a story or something that goes with the item you are trying to remember...I used that in accounting school - try it...but more importantly....You are this... remember, this is who you are, you already have this knowledge...connect to those lifetimes... just remember that you aren't learning you are just remembering....Miss you!Love Mckenna
Post a Comment