
Well... I don't even know where to start. I took this picture of Caspian today, Mr. Tired Legs after the Union Street Fair... his outfit/contemplative gaze was too beatnik to pass by ;) He's seen the best minds of his generation destroyed by madness, ya know ;)
So I got up at 3am and caught my flight at 6:30am and it didn't really seem real and mostly I was tired... until I started reading the book that Josh loaned me: "Dr. Weirde's Guide to Mysterious San Francisco." ... Then I got super-crazy-excited. I don't think I can possibly share everything with you tonight, but I've marked the pages and I'll go through my adventures as they happen.
As I emerged from the BART at Powell Station it became suddenly clear why San Francisco was the hub for fantastic, frantic, bold and all-consuming literature. This city is SO American. This city is in your face. This city defies the laws of gravity. This city just oozes seediness from every laundry-strung balcony and gated doorway. I want to explain it, but I can't. Have you read Allen Ginsberg's "Howl"? When you come here, it just makes more sense. "Oh," you think. "Yeah, I get that now." And Dashiell Hammett? I'm going to have to find a copy of "The Maltese Falcon" to read while I'm here... Now that I've been here, it makes sense that Sam Spade would get caught up in that deceit. It is such a strange place, but it's wonderful too. I have never experienced a place like this before. So Very Strange. It makes me feel really naive.
Tomorrow is my first Yoga Class and I'm FREAKED OUT. I Kinda, Sorta, Maybe, Almost know how to get there... I'm going to take the Cable Car down to Market and then walk two blocks in the direction that Josh pointed to, if I can remember what direction that was... South, I guess... SOMA District standing for "South of Market" and all... I'm so nervous. I feel like I'm starting Kindergarten. The good news is that I saw a Lululemon on Union today, so hopefully I won't be the only one there decked out head-to-toe. I hope it's okay... wish me luck!
(Just heard a Cable Car go "CLANG CLANG CLANG" outside... so weird.)
Love you and miss you all,
Gillian
2 comments:
"Clang, clang clang went the trolley..."
I can't wait to hear more about your adventures, and your first class! Good luck!!! :)
So, how was your first class? Was everyone Bo-Ho? I tried to be Bo-Ho once, but I turned out all Hobo instead.
Hope you're having fun!
Post a Comment