Friday, January 18, 2008

Public Service Announcement and a Dancing Space Girl

Lately I've been feeling pretty naive about the world, especially at 1am when I'm trying to fall asleep. There's just so much that I don't know that has become really important all of a sudden. To be blunt, I was 100% confident that I would be married by now to a man who actually understood these things... unfortunately he hasn't shown up yet. Long story short, I should have gotten on this quite a while ago, but I didn't, and so I've been freaking out.

HOWEVER, that's going to change because today I bought a fantastic book. "The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything" by Melissa Kirsch. It truly is a guide to everything from health, money, etiquette, cleaning, dating, etc. It's remarkably smart and funny and full of relevant, useful information. I just got it a few hours ago and I've already gone on a highlighting-and-page-flagging-spree. For the first time in my life I can honestly say that I understand compound interest. It has an actual chart about how to store different fruits and vegetables, and how long they keep. How to balance your cheque book! Pull-out checklists on everything from stocking your kitchen to buying a house! And much, much more! REMARKABLE! The best part is that it's witty and amusing and understandable. I want to keep reading, rather than pushing the book aside because the complicated math is making my head hurt.

One of my favourite parts (so far) was on how to deal with certain pests that might come with your new place. I laughed out loud when I read this:
"How to Kill a Spider or Other Many-Legged Bug. The secret is in the squint. Once you've ascertained that there is indeed a spider rappelling down the wall on its own silken threads, start squinting. (The Scary Factor is reduced if you can't see it clearly.) With a giant wad of Kleenex, get in close and grab the offender, squeezing him hard in your fist. Run to the toilet."
HAHAHA!!! I want to be Melissa Kirsch's friend!!!

This is good. I'm actually finally feeling good about scary future financial things. I'm discovering that I'm on a pretty good path, that it's not too late, and that I can actually do this stuff on my own. This is miraculous! So thank you for putting up with my little announcement, and you should buy this book for every girl you know who is graduating from university or is 28, scared and alone.

In other news, I bought a book about Ayurveda today and I have a dentist appointment on Monday, so there are two more things I can check off my 101 in 1001 list. I'm also about 1/3 finished a sweater for myself (just started it last week! I hope it fits!) and have ordered the paper for the "recovering the trunk" project. Still no job phone calls, but I applied for some interesting ones today, so maybe Monday... I hope.

Oh, and since I promised a pic or video with every post, and since this post was aimed at the ladies, here's a little video for you fellas of Raquel Welch doing a space girl dance. As "betterlivingthroughscience" commented on BoingBoing.net:

My favorite part of scantily clad ladies back then - that the belly button was the most important part to cover up. "crotch shot? sure, but don't you dare show me that button!"



Have a happy weekend!
Gillian

No comments: