Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Thing About Bats...

... is that they are a protected species in Nova Scotia, which basically boils down to "you're pretty much screwed."

The bat people finally called us back, and that was the answer. The good news is that the bats leave in the fall, and then the bat people will come in and do clean up. The bad news is that they won't do anything to help our situation before that. The worse news is that bats return to the same house every spring, so we'd better make sure that every possible entrance point is closed before they return.

Last night was the first time I actually saw a bat flying around inside the house, and I was not at all brave about it. I was too scared to even scream. I managed to run into the hall and shut the door and stand there shuddering. BatGirl I ain't. Both mum and I feel a little ridiculous that we're so freaked out by them, but yikes! That was "Bat Incident #6", they're quiet and fast, and the prospect of being so terrified for the next few month is making us both pretty miserable. This place is giving me a nervous breakdown and it hasn't even been two weeks.

*eh-hem* That was happy, wasn't it? Hmmm, what can I tell you that's positive? Hmmm.... Positive... pos-i-tive... Yeah, I've got nothing.

Miss you all,
Gillian

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Bat Warrior here again... I got nothing...

except maybe this:

Hot Air Balloon For Sale

Personally I think its the perfect one.

Anonymous said...

This may not be of help right now but you might want to consider putting up some bat houses on the property, a little bit away from the house. This would provide an alternate location for them to live when they return next year. An internet search will provide some links to plans and places that sell them.

Given your reaction to your furry guests you may want to skip the comment and link below. But your dad should check out the link, it has some good ideas and links on bat-proofing buildings.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/Bats_&_Rabies/bats&.htm#How%20can%20I%20keep%20bats%20out%20of%20my%20home

Anonymous said...

Looks like the url in the last comment got truncated hopefully this ones comes through. It will need multiple cut and pastes.



http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/
Bats_&_Rabies/bats&.htm#How%20can%20I%20
keep%20bats%20out%20of%20my%20home