Okay, truthfully, right now I'm sitting on the back porch in the shade with the dog, watching my parents dig up weeds, and frankly life is pretty good at this very second. I'm NOT digging up weeds because I'm "watching the dog", which means I can be helpful while still being lazy. This way the dog is well-behaved, and outside. He can see mum and dad, which means that he doesn't need to lick his elbow in his obsessive-compulsive fervour. The dog is happy, so mum is happy, and I am happy until any bugs invade my personal space.
It's now been a month since we arrived in Nova Scotia. It feels like it's been a loooooot longer. A LOT longer!!! It's not that Nova Scotia is really a bad place, it's just that I feel a lonely and trapped and I live in my head an awful lot when I don't get out of the house at all. As the days go by, I learn to cope a little more. We don't get CBC AM out here, but I can stream it quite effectively from their website, so I can learn while I work, which is all good. Nathan and Sheila are coming out for Thanksgiving, which I'm giddy about!!! It's only for a few days, but it gives me something to plan and think about. Should we have a bonfire on the beach? Should we go on a winery tour? Lobster dinner at Hall's Harbour? I really can't wait, although I may have to tie them up and keep them here, because I get teary just thinking about them. I MISS YOU GUYS! Have I mentioned that? Only about 40 times, hey?
We're "now 90% bat-free", with only a few incidents which dad has blogged about here. I've been trying to think a little more about the website for the B&B, wondering if I can find a course out here to teach me Flash so I can incorporate fancy tide charts and such. I've painted/decorated my room, which I will write about later in the promised "Anderson Cooper" post. I dunno, it's really kind of a blur, ya know? Each day is like the last, and it's certainly not what I would call "exciting", but it's different. I have to keep reminding myself to "buck up, it's an adventure," but that's hard on days like today... It's my friend Kim's birthday, and all of the Salsa gang back home are going dancing, so I feel pretty miserable about that. I want to be there so badly to help her celebrate and dance into the wee hours, spinning around precariously, laughing till it hurts.
So that's it, really. A month of mixed emotions and bats and a horrifying lack of Salsa dancing and sushi. But as they say in Elizabethtown (one of my favourite movies!) "We are intrepid. We carry on."
... We just carry on a lot more easily when we can go dancing ;)
Okay, okay, enough of my whining! My love to all!
Gillian
3 comments:
I watched an ad for Nova Scotia on the National Geographic Channel -- Fundyfun.com. Looks like a great place. Your Blog is well written and interesting to read. You should vist us in Oregon.
No bats, no bugs, no thunderstorm, and the weather is cool and dry.
We are about an hour+ from the big city (Portland), and the beach, and the ski areas.
Susan's Dad
I think we need to do all of that! It all sounds so great. I hope the weather's good when we come though. I'm really looking forward to the visit. It'll be my first time east of Saskatoon (Toronto and Montreal airports don't count!). I miss you too. I still find it kind of strange that Nathan and I just can't come see you whenever we want. I can't wait to come and see you guys. Let me know if you want anything from good old Cowtown!
not able to help with the salsa, but the next time you are in Halifax you should stop by Hamachi House. I had some decent sushi there a year or so ago.
5190 Morris Street (at Barrington Street).
Between south end and downtown, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Voice: +1 (902) 425-7711.
There may be better places in town, but this is the only one I have been to.
Post a Comment