Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Spazzing - It's Contagious!

Yes, it's a spaz outbreak! One might even say it's a Spaz Pandemic! The people I know, the weather, it's all spazzing, and I'm still spazzing, which leads to sudden bursts of anger/tears/inappropriate laughter on my part. Gee Wiz. I'm shaking my head in disbelief at my craziness.

The rain this morning was being totally unreasonable and as a result my pants were wet until approximately 1pm and I was very angry at the world. I was so upset. I was never going to be warm and dry EVER!AGAIN! Life was terrible, transit was cruel, jobs that start at 8am were inhumane. Spaz Spaz Spaz. I'm really tired and not sleeping very well and being overwhelmed by work and life and being a decent person, even though I think everyone hates me. So I spaz about it and then go to bed at 8pm. yay me!

Luckily, luckily, I've been reading some really good books lately and am really enjoying the little escapes that they afford. I just finished "Girlfriend in a Coma" by Douglas Coupland. It was FANTASTIC! I really love his books because they're intelligent and wryly amusing and original. Although I've read several of his books, my two faves have got to be "Girlfriend in a Coma" and "Eleanor Rigby" because they are just so freaking weird and captivating.

A few of my favourite quotes from "Girlfriend in a Coma" are:

Hamilton and I were the ones without goals. "Imagine you're a forty-year-old, Richard," Hamilton said to me around this time, while working as a salesman at a Radio Shack in Lynn Valley, "and suddenly somebody comes up to you saying, 'Hi, I'd like you to meet Kevin. Kevin is eighteen and will be making all of your career decisions for you.' I'd be flipped out. Wouldn't you? But that's what life is all about - some eighteen-year-old kid making your big decisions for you that stick for a lifetime." He shuddered.

Um, YEAH!!! I also like:

What's clarity like?
Try to remember that funny feeling inside your head when you had a math problem too difficult to solve: the faint buzzing noise in your ears, a heaviness on both sides of your skull, and the sensation that your brain is twitching inside your cranium like a fish on a beach. This is the opposite sensation of clarity. Yet for many people of my era, as they aged, this sensation became the dominant sensation of their lives. It was as though day-to-day twentieth-century living had become an unsolvable algebraic equation.

... I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

When I finished that I picked up "Hocus" by Jan Burke. Jan Burke is a fantastic mystery writer and I haven't been able to put this one down. Her books are incredibly intense, but fantastic.

The good news about both of these writers is that they have TONS of books. I always get so excited when I come across a fantastic writer with loads of great books to read. It's just like Christmas :)

Alright, bed time for me! (I made it till 8:39 tonight! Yay me!)
Gillian


P.S. Cool video.. er... cold video? Brrrrr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you get a chance you should check out a movie called "Everything's Gone Green" directed by Paul Fox.

It is an interesting little Canadian film based on an original screenplay by Douglas Coupland, rather than an adaptation on one of his books like his other film writing.