Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ummm...?

(Delusion Road, Nova Scotia. Photo by Lisa Preston.)


Well, I passed Microstation. Just barely, but I PASSED! I'm still waiting on my AutoCad mark, checking a billion times a day, and my left eye has NOT stopped twitching for a week. But I'm fine *maniacal laughter* absolutely fine. Is it too late to stay where I am? Hmm, it is, hey?

But really, things are fine. I'm actually not fine, but I'm enjoying the delusion of "fine." I also totally forget what I was going to post about... hmmm... OH! Earrings.

So I'm renting a furnished house in Calgary and can only bring 2 suitcases of my stuff with me, cuz there's nowhere else for it to go, so my stuff will stay in Nova Scotia for a year until I get a house of my own. I'll probably cry about my books the most, as I'm only bringing 4 with me. I've gone through my clothes 3 times, getting rid of things that are old and ratty or don't look good on me. I probably have to go through one more time and be really hard on myself. There's one skirt I'm being immature and holding out on, but really it should go. I've had it since I was 16 and that was a loooong time ago. I can only bring like 2 pairs of earrings, and the rest has to stay here, so it's hard to pick. I know it's just stuff, but you get sentimental about some of it. Shoes, DVDs, my teddy bear. These are the things that keep me awake till 3am. Of course, I'd give them all up if my parents would just see reason and come back west too, but... that's not happening, so I need to bring a few things to distract myself with.

Does anyone have any good packing tips? I have the vacuum "space bags" for my clothes, and have put my 22 favourite DVDs in a travel CD case, and I ripped my favourite CDs to my laptop (and iPod) but I think I might still need room. I will happily take whatever suggestions you've got. Just remember, I'm going to California first, so I have to keep American customs and security happy... well, as happy as they can be. Do they have to sign contracts about never smiling? Poor guys. Oh, and what should I do about my yoga mat??? So many things to consider. PLEASE HELP!

Okay, I love you, send happy thoughts, ice cream and sedatives for the next 9 days!!!

Gillian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, honey, B-R-E-A-T-H-E......get your parents to ship some of your other stuff to you once you have landed in YYC....it isn't too expensive and then you don't have to fret so much about the 2 suitcases...

be careful about the weight of the suitcases though...they now charge if your bags are over, hmmm, I think it is 40 some, or maybe 50 lbs...I would check with the airline before you go...

Love you - can't wait to see, yes, actually SEE you :):)

Sheila said...

You can ship some stuff to Nathan at the bookstore if you want too. We've been doing that since the whole Christmas present fiasco. =D And just take your yoga mat as carry on. If you have that and a big bag/purse, that should still be okay. Heck, Nathan took his kilt all wrapped up like a yoga mat on the flight to Denmark and nobody said a word! And you can borrow some of our books if you want. Having a brother that works in a bookstore has to have some advantages!