Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Home???

Lighting Store Art (I was bored)

Being in Calgary is so weird. It's like we never left and Nova Scotia has that Residual Dream feeling about it, like it never actually happened. Mostly it's just so nice being here. It's so familiar and I know where to find things and how to get places. I get to go out and do things and see people! It's so much less intimidating than Nova Scotia. My mum and I went downtown today and I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Ahhh, city. I know how to interact with the city. It's not like the country. My relationship with the country is strained and uncomfortable. It seems nice at first, but it's only a facade and I know that it wouldn't think twice about tripping me and letting me drown in a hidden, frozen pond. The country is mean like that. But I grew up with the city and I know how to deal with it and it's a lot less stressful. We moved out of the city to escape the stress. Ha ha. So foolish. Even mum admitted that Calgary is a LOT easier. We've done a lot of "Oooh, it's our Safeway!!! Awww, Belal's Dog Park!!!" in the past few days. I went to my posh, lovely salon to have my hair done. We miss Calgary. Mum is homesick for Nova Scotia too, but not me. I miss Dad and the pets, but would be happier if they just came here instead. But anyway, I digress...

Mum and I took the bus back to Nathan & Sheila's, right up Centre Street and a few blocks past my old condo and the old house. We both almost cried (embarrassing on a bus full of people.) A lot has changed in the old neighbourhood. Douglass Drugs is now a Shopper's Drug Mart, the Regal Beagle Pub is gone... We feel as though we should have been notified as honourary Crescent Heights residents!!! But mostly it's the same and comfortable, like your favorite pair of jeans or an album that you know all the words and sing along to.

Anywhoo, that's it for now. We're leaving Saturday night (sigh), but I hope to have a few more adventures before then.

Big, Big, Big hugs to all,

Gillian

No comments: