Did you listen to Obama's Inauguration speech? Was that not inspiring? I think I have to add him to my list of celebrity crushes, up there with Anderson Cooper!
The big problem for me is that I jumped up out of my seat, eyes brimming with tears, and said "How can I help? Where do I sign up?" Then I realised that I am but a lowly Canadian with an epically lame government, and worse than that, an Albertan stuck in the midst of the Dirty Oil governed by Ed Stelmach: The Premier with the personality of a wet, mouldy mop. Comedian Baratunde Thurston described Bush as "intellectually as incurious as a block of wood (and that's being rude to the wood.)" I think that suits Canadian politics too, and I think first we should be worried, and second we should be inspired. Mostly we should DO something.
So I'm wondering if there's a way to volunteer my services to support the US government? He's captured me, just like he said he would when he talked about "imagination grown to a common purpose." My imagination is right there all snuggly with the common purpose, and I'd dearly love to take a little action here. If there's not a Canadian community jumping to action to do something around here, then there should be. If I need to spearhead such action, then so be it. Where shall we start? Send me your ideas! Let's spark a little change :)
In related news, CBC has released the 49 songs on Obama`s Playlist. I haven`t heard of most of them, but the winners are:
Affairs of the Heart: Marjan Mozetich
American Woman - The Guess Who
Barber: Violin Concerto: James Ehnes
Bobcaygeon - The Tragically Hip
Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell
Brother (Watching) - Shad
Canada's Really Big - Arrogant Worms
The Canadian Dream - Sam Roberts
Canadian Railroad Trilogy - Gordon Lightfoot
A Case of You - Joni Mitchell
Closer to the Heart - Rush
Dégénération - Mes Aïeux
Democracy - Leonard Cohen
Departure Bay - Diana Krall
Évangéline - Marie-Jo Thério
Four Strong Winds - Ian & Sylvia
Goin' Up a Yonder - Measha Brueggergosman
Goldberg Variations - Glenn Gould
Hallelujah - k.d. lang
Helpless- Neil Young
The Hockey Song - Stompin' Tom Connors (...obviously)
Home - Michael Bublé
Hymn to Freedom - Oscar Peterson Trio
If I Had $1,000,000 - Barenaked Ladies
J'ai quitté mon île - Daniel Lavoie
Jolie Louise - Daniel Lanois (ooh, good call!)
La complainte du phoque en Alaska - Beau Dommage
Mario Takes a Walk - Jesse Cook
Mon pays - Gilles Vigneault
Montréal -40C - Malajube
Northwest Passage - Stan Rogers
One Great City! - The Weakerthans (YEAHH! ``I hate Winnipeg!``)
Ordinary Day - Great Big Sea (YEAHH GBS!)
Oublie-pas - Karkwa
Place St. Henri (from Canadiana Suite) - Oscar Peterson Trio
Pour un instant - Harmonium
Quand les hommes vivront d'amour - Raymond Lévesque
Rebellion (Lies) - Arcade Fire
Rêver mieux - Daniel Bélanger
Rise Again - The Rankin Family
Rise Up - Parachute Club
Rockin' in the Free World - Neil Young
Suzanne - Leonard Cohen
Swingin' Shepherd Blues - Moe Koffman
Universal Soldier - Buffy Sainte-Marie
We'll Gather Lilacs - Ben Heppner
Wheat Kings - The Tragically Hip
Too much Tragically Hip and wayyyy too many French songs :P Apparently Quebec and New Brunswick voted a lot. And no Blue Rodeo! For shame, Canada! You probably made Jim Cuddy cry :(
Love you all! Let`s make a change, people. And do a little dancing.
Love,
Gillian
No comments:
Post a Comment