When I was a little girl my dad had a cassette tape of the "Xanadu" soundtrack. I used to love that tape, and I still have a few MP3s kicking around from it on my laptop. For some reason I'd never actually seen the movie...
until...
today...
And can I just tell you? I've never seen such a blinding display of the 70s meeting the 80s. Do you remember the flamboyant outfits? The hair? The colours? The acting?!?! My God, it was terrible, but in such a wonderful, cheesy, horribly fantastic way. I wanted to turn off the TV, but I was drawn into it. The legwarmers. The animated BIRD wearing legwarmers! An old Gene Kelly tap dancing in freaking ROLLER SKATES! Olivia Newton-John's dresses! THE STORY LINE (that gets a "W... T... F...!?!) The overt sexuality! The glitter scene changes! ... the glitter in general! I simply can't get over it. I loved it and hated it and remembered all the words to the awful songs. I sat on my living room floor, folding laundry and singing along.
I just...
I can't even...
... you should have friends over and rent it. You should make a drinking game out of it. And there should probably be fondue.
Here are a few of my favourite clips, but you should really watch the whole thing.
This was and is my favourite song, and probably the most "normal" scene in the movie... which should say something...
... and you thought I was lying about the bird in legwarmers... This is my favourite part of the movie when it comes to cheesiness. Did I mention glitter?
so... freaking... awesome...
Love!
Gillian
1 comment:
Oh no, clip #2 was taken off YouTube!
Post a Comment