49 Songs from North of the 49th Parallel
Canadians choose 49 songs from North of the 49th parallel that defines Canada to the new President.
Beginning Monday, January 5, CBC Radio 2 invites Canadians to help select the top “49 songs from north of the 49th parallel” that would best define our country to the incoming U.S. President Barack Obama. His playlist could definitely benefit from some Canadian content, especially given the depth of our musical offerings – spanning a wide variety of genres and representing our culture from coast to coast.“One of the best way to know Canada is through the depth and breadth of our artistic expression,” says Denise Donlon, Executive Director, CBC Radio. “We're excited about the new President and we want him to be excited about us, so we're asking our audience to help compile the list of our most definitive Canadian songs!”
A total of 49 songs will be determined.So, what Canadian music do you think are the most definitive 49 songs from North of the 49th parallel?
Canadians choose 49 songs from North of the 49th parallel that defines Canada to the new President.
Beginning Monday, January 5, CBC Radio 2 invites Canadians to help select the top “49 songs from north of the 49th parallel” that would best define our country to the incoming U.S. President Barack Obama. His playlist could definitely benefit from some Canadian content, especially given the depth of our musical offerings – spanning a wide variety of genres and representing our culture from coast to coast.“One of the best way to know Canada is through the depth and breadth of our artistic expression,” says Denise Donlon, Executive Director, CBC Radio. “We're excited about the new President and we want him to be excited about us, so we're asking our audience to help compile the list of our most definitive Canadian songs!”
A total of 49 songs will be determined.So, what Canadian music do you think are the most definitive 49 songs from North of the 49th parallel?
I'm not sure if they're actually going to put the songs on an iPod for the prez, but they really should :) I am so excited for this new chapter in American history.
What songs would you pick?
Here are my top 5.
Kashtin - Akua Tuta
Sarah McLachlan - Angel
Great Big Sea - When I Am King (because it's so appropriate! "The world will sing when I am king!")
The Weakerthans - Tournament of Hearts (because it's SO Canadian!)
Barenaked Ladies - Jane
Now those are only the songs I can find on YouTube, so maybe tomorrow I'll post my top 5 Canadian Songs that AREN'T on YouTube so you can give 'em a listen, too. Yes. That sounds like a good plan. One day I'll also give you my tour of the Canadian Provinces through Music!
YAY Canadian Music!!! Send me your picks!
Now I'm going to go because my computer sounds like it's about to explode...
Gillian
4 comments:
A few thoughts, in no particular order:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJD3qcIL7s
"Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West. Perhaps not the most flattering Canadian song, given that it's about going to England on vacation and getting hammered. But by God if that's not Canadian I don't know what is. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhR_GeJ_scs
"American Woman" by The Guess Who.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZWxErEbQkY
"The Hockey Song" by Stompin' Tom Connors.
come now - no one picked Bob and Doug Mackenzie?? They're a classic!!! What is more Canadian than that, eh? :P
I would have to add "Four Strong Winds" by Ian & Sylvia Tyson, and "A Case of You" by Joni Mitchell.
"When I am King" is a great choice! I never would thought of it, but it's perfect!
Have you sent your choices to CBC?
And here's CBC's official olaylist:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/obamasplaylist/
It's okay, but I don't see how some of the choices "define our country"...
Post a Comment