Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Peanut Butter & Tuna Fish Sandwich

I have this friend who I discuss Tuna Fish with. Our conversations aren't strictly limited to the discussion of Tuna, but I'm not going to lie, it comes up frequently between us. From sushi to canned. We talk about it.

The other day my friend was pretty excited at a new kind of tuna he'd discovered: Clover Leaf Spicy Peanut Satay. It was really good, he said. Intrigued, I bought some the next day and today at lunch time I decided to give it a try. I opened the tin and paused. For Tuna, it smelled distinctly like peanut butter. I made a sandwich with more than a little apprehension. Surely, SURELY he wouldn't lie to me about something as serious as Tuna. Bravely, unflinchingly, I took a bite and realised the full of extent of what I was eating. This was a Peanut Butter & Tuna Fish sandwich. I was eating a (somewhat spicy) Peanut Butter & Tuna Fish sandwich... of my own free will.

However, I was intent on keeping an open mind about this. With every bite I tried to ignore the nagging voice in the back of my head that screamed "ARE YOU CRAZY!? YOU'RE EATING A PEANUT BUTTER & TUNA FISH SANDWICH!!!" 2/3 of the way in the voice won, I put the sandwich down and sent a rude text message to my friend. That's the last time I trust him about Tuna.

Like most things in my life, the situation reminded me of Sesame Street. Every child of the 80s knows that the magic word isn't "please", but "A LA PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES!" *poof*



In my YouTube search for The Amazing Mumford, I ran across this little gem. I had TOTALLY FORGOTTEN about this video, and it all came back in a flash!



The strange thing is that when I was little I just accepted this video as common practice. A small child walking her llama through the city streets without parental supervision to go to the dentist? Nope, nothing weird about THAT!

Love,
Gillian

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Ewwwww!! Peanut butter and tuna? Yuck! You must be very brave....

Kirsten said...

Oh, I LOVE Grover! Claire loves him too. She points him out in books, and she gets so excited if she sees him on TV. With her grunts and shrieks of excitement, it's like: "Mummy, LOOK! Grover! And he's moving and talking!!"
So cute. ;)

Kirsten said...

Oh yeah, but why do Mr. Mumford and the Count look so much alike? Are they supposed to be cousins? ;)