Now THIS begs the question: Why the heck don't I live in San Francisco?!?!
"The impact of Gus Van Sant's biopic, Milk, inspires many viewers to ask, "What Would Harvey Do, Now?"
Proposition 8's rotten victory took the stuffing out of a lot of us.
I know exactly what Harvey would've done this past weekend -- he would have been with me, and hundreds of others, pirouetting our asses off to The Dance-Along Nutcracker, performed each year by the band which was founded in 1978 to celebrate Milk's inauguration: The Lesbian/Gay Freedom Band.
Every December, the band takes over the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco, opens the doors to all ages and species -- there were a couple tutu-ed puppies this year -- and plays the Tchaikovsky classic, while the audience leaps, skips, and crawls their way through "Arabian Coffee," "Chinese Tea," and the Russian Trepak. (Bring ibuprofen for the intermission)." (full story here.)
A Dance-Along Nutcracker? Are you KIDDING ME?! How fantastically awesome is that?!? In my last blog post I included pictures of me dancing to The Nutcracker in my PJs! The embarrassing thing I neglected to mention was that I couldn't contain a pirouette on the icy street the day before while listening to The Nutcracker on my way home from work (well, it was dark outside! I couldn't help it!) Only two things can make my inner-four-year-old dance in the street: Disneyland and the Waltz of the Flowers. I just can't be embarrassed by that anymore, knowing that other grown-ups were getting their Sugar Plum Fairy on at Yerba Buena! I'm only sorry that I wasn't there with them. (This from the girl who has been to the Sing-Along Sound of Music twice, so you know I'd totally do it!)
The funny thing is that it's always the Waltz of the Flowers that gets me! Every Single Time. I can sit through the rest of the pieces, but I remember being a fat little 3 year old and it was THAT SONG that got me into my tutu (there are pictures.) Heck, while we're telling embarrassing stories, I should come right out and say that I remember being an awkward TEENAGER and dancing around to that song (no embarrassing stories now, dear brothers!) Damn you, Tchaikovsky! But than man could write a waltz!!! I can't even listen to it at work without being completely heart-broken that my dreams of being a ballerina never came to fruition *sigh* At least I could probably waltz my way through it now?
Proposition 8's rotten victory took the stuffing out of a lot of us.
I know exactly what Harvey would've done this past weekend -- he would have been with me, and hundreds of others, pirouetting our asses off to The Dance-Along Nutcracker, performed each year by the band which was founded in 1978 to celebrate Milk's inauguration: The Lesbian/Gay Freedom Band.
Every December, the band takes over the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco, opens the doors to all ages and species -- there were a couple tutu-ed puppies this year -- and plays the Tchaikovsky classic, while the audience leaps, skips, and crawls their way through "Arabian Coffee," "Chinese Tea," and the Russian Trepak. (Bring ibuprofen for the intermission)." (full story here.)
A Dance-Along Nutcracker? Are you KIDDING ME?! How fantastically awesome is that?!? In my last blog post I included pictures of me dancing to The Nutcracker in my PJs! The embarrassing thing I neglected to mention was that I couldn't contain a pirouette on the icy street the day before while listening to The Nutcracker on my way home from work (well, it was dark outside! I couldn't help it!) Only two things can make my inner-four-year-old dance in the street: Disneyland and the Waltz of the Flowers. I just can't be embarrassed by that anymore, knowing that other grown-ups were getting their Sugar Plum Fairy on at Yerba Buena! I'm only sorry that I wasn't there with them. (This from the girl who has been to the Sing-Along Sound of Music twice, so you know I'd totally do it!)
The funny thing is that it's always the Waltz of the Flowers that gets me! Every Single Time. I can sit through the rest of the pieces, but I remember being a fat little 3 year old and it was THAT SONG that got me into my tutu (there are pictures.) Heck, while we're telling embarrassing stories, I should come right out and say that I remember being an awkward TEENAGER and dancing around to that song (no embarrassing stories now, dear brothers!) Damn you, Tchaikovsky! But than man could write a waltz!!! I can't even listen to it at work without being completely heart-broken that my dreams of being a ballerina never came to fruition *sigh* At least I could probably waltz my way through it now?
Alright, that's it. It's time. Go put on your tutu and just TRY not to dance.
MY GOODNESS I love that song!!!
~gillian~
No comments:
Post a Comment