Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Yoga Response

When I'm in the car, I need music. So when I was in the car in Nova Scotia, I'd plug in my iPod and subject my parents to my eclectic music collection. One of my playlists is "Yoga Music", although it really is any kind of music that I do Yoga to, and is widely varied from Opera to Indian techno. While listening to some of my Yoga music, my dad asked if the music gave me a "Yoga response", which I thought was an interesting question, because in fact it does!

Since I have my "soundtrack" that I do Yoga to, I now associate the music with a focused feeling, so if I'm stressed at work I can just pop on the Yoga playlist and it will bring my focus back a little bit. Obviously it doesn't bliss me right out like a Yoga session, but it certainly helps shift me into a better headspace. However, more than the mental response, a few songs give me more of a physical response. I hear them and I am overcome with the urge to do sun salutations (suryanamaskara, for those who do yoga with me... sorry, I was programmed to teach in Sanskrit!)

Most of the songs are pretty obscure and we aren't going to find them on YouTube, but this is one of the songs that gives me that "suryanamaskara feeling":

Boheme - Deep Forest


This one even less mainstream, but is undeniably my favourite yoga song with the biggest "Yoga Response." It's also a favourite among my students! It's definitely not on YouTube, so I just slapped a photo up and added the song so you could hear it. I don't know how to just post songs without a lot of effort. The photo was taken at Lake Louise, and the song happens to be a very good mountain driving soundtrack too. Something about Opera and the Rocky Mountains... It's a wonderful match.

Ballo (After Verdi's Ballo en Mashera) - Paul Schwartz


Enjoy :) Breathe :) Namaste!

Gillian

No comments: