Wow, blogger tells me that this is my 200th post! I talk a LOT!
I suppose a lot is new around here! I had a break-down the other day and spontaneously booked a week off work and bought a plane ticket to Nova Scotia for September. Even with the seat sales it's still a lot of money, but I just can't take it! I miss my darn parents!!! So I'm very excited about that. It feels better just knowing I'll see them soon.
Now for the reviews!
Calgary Folk Music Festival 2008
The Folk Fest this year was fantastic! Blue Rodeo was amazing live, they played so many great songs (including "Lost Together"!!!) Bedouin Soundclash was also fantastic, and played my faves ("Walls Come Down", "12:59 Lullaby.") Great Lake Swimmers did loads of workshops, so I got to see them about 4 times, and each time they played "Changing Colours." Tony Dekker is one fine looking young man, and one of my friends sent me a text message from across the field of tarps suggesting I use my Artists Lounge pass to "back on" him. Hahaha! I dunno what "back on" means, but I have a pretty good guess!!!
Of course, one of the best things about Folk Fest is falling in love with new bands! I am now a huge fan of The Weakerthans, Josh Ritter, Andrew Bird, The Duhks and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting right now. I spent a looooot of money, but music is so worth it :)
Here's a video to one of my FAVOURITE songs by The Weakerthans! Such delightful lyrics!!!
The Weakerthans - Our Retired Explorer (Dines With Michel Foucault in Paris, 1961)
The X-Files: I Want To Believe
Oh, I believe!!! I really enjoyed the movie! I think it helps that I went in with rather vague expectations, because it was rather more like a long episode of the X-Files than a movie, if that makes sense. They could have done a lot more, but I think they stayed true to the show, and the time lapse, really. I was just so happy to see Scully and Mulder again that I was grinning most of the time. They still ran off into dark buildings, still talked conspiracy, still walked the line between religion and science. I could have asked for a little more witty banter, and there was an upsetting scene with a dog, but aside from that I was pleased :)
Batman: The Dark Knight
Wow. This is one disturbing but fantastic movie. I was horrified but completely drawn in. Visually stunning, but creepy. I was gripping my popcorn the entire time thinking "this is MESSED UP!!!" Oddly enough, I was fine coming home alone after X-Files, but last night I totally left lights on in case The Joker showed up.
I was wondering if I'm just reacting badly to it because I've been really emotional lately, and because, of course, I kept remembering that Heath Ledger (who plays the Joker) died from an overdose after filming the movie, and because of the recent Greyhound bus incident. Maybe I was just taking it more seriously than I usually do with movies, but damn. Messed up. Have you seen it? What did you think?
I think that's it for now! Yay for lazy long weekends! (as I post, still in my pyjamas, sipping coffee at noon. Ahhhh!)
Love!
Gillian
No comments:
Post a Comment