Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mmm, Educational!

Today I went to the Glenbow museum with my friend Matthew. This involved much hilarity, especially because I broke out my favourite old game "but not really." (eg: Your friend is eagerly telling you how cool Japanese swords are and you go "uh-huh.... but not REALLY", even though they are. They he defends himself, and you reply to every argument with a "yes *pause* but not REALLY." Yes, it's juvenile, but so much fun!!! "This looks just like Vegas... but not really." Okay, just trust me! Go play it!)
I haven't been to the Museum in years, although I have been intending to go for quite some time. What I didn't know is that they have been busy updating the Alberta History exhibit and have come up with some pretty fantastic local history. I was pleased to see that they'd even saved the old Telstar drug sign, and it now spins in all of its neon glory in the Museum! What fun! I actually learned a lot today about the Social Credit party and a number of philanthropic Calgarians. There's a neat new train exhibit (although it looks like it replaced that really creepy old train tunnel! I loved that thing!) But overall, it has been updated and really well done. Good job, Glenbow!
Yesterday I actually invested in a new Canon Powershot camera. I've been looking for a new small digital camera that I can carry around in my purse. My SLR is so heavy, and I miss a lot of good photos. I tested it out at the museum today and am really pleased with it :)

I stopped caring about minerals. Matthew was still excited... but not REALLY! :P

One of my favourite, favourite, FAVOURITE exhibits is the Asian Art exhibit. Sculpture blows my mind. They used to play really lovely, zen music in there, but no music today. A Buddha was out for repairs, though, so we thought perhaps it was him making the tunage (a la iPod docking station? No?)

This is my favourite Buddha. He always seems on the verge of opening his eyes and singing "Rubber Ducky" *** Nice camera, hey???


He is the ultimate in cool. Just chilling...


Really love sculpture. Really pleased with my camera.




So much fun :) Check it out if you have the chance.
Love,
Gillian

*** When Sculptures come alive and sing "Rubber Ducky":

No comments: