Well well well. A year ago this week I moved back to Calgary. Can you believe it? I honestly don't remember most of this past year. It's been a blur of messes, but it's looking up, my dears, it's looking up!
I've been meaning to blog all week, but you know how it is when you come back to work after a vacation? The world is falling apart. It involves overtime and crying in the bathroom. A lot of crying, and feeling like a hack, and absolutely hating going from a beautiful, lovely 9 days of being spoiled in Nova Scotia to being a grown up and working overtime and paying epically huge car insurance bills that mean you're living off white bread and bologna until payday. Dealing with engineers and stinky cats that you're allergic to and shouting neighbours in crappy apartments. So obviously, this has to be the song of the month... OBVIOUSLY.
There's a quote along these lines in a book I'm reading, too!
"The problem is that children believe what adults say and, once they're adults themselves, they exact their revenge by deceiving their own children. 'Life has meaning and we grown-ups know what it is' is the universal lie that everyone is supposed to believe. Once you become an adult and you realize that's not true, it's too late. The mystery remains intact, but all your available energy has long ago been wasted on stupid things." (- Muriel Barbery, "The Elegance of the Hedgehog")
Or in my own words: "growing up... phooey!"
BUT enough moaning! When I feel bad, you know what I do? I head straight to 1000awesomethings.com. Why? Because it's a blog about awesome things, and trust me, you will read them and smile and go "YES! That IS awesome!!!"
Awesome things off the top of my head tonight are:
- People who laugh at my dumb jokes
- "So You Think You Can Dance"
- Concierges in French apartments
- runpee.com
Bed Time!
XOXO,
Gillian
No comments:
Post a Comment